Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Great "Food" Documentary

My brother-in-law Danny was the one who told me about this great documentary.  He didn't really say much about it, just that it was good.  I was so anxious to see it that I signed up for the month free trial of netflixs so I could watch it.  It was by far the best "food" documentary I had ever seen (and I've watched my fair share).


This documentary focuses on the typical American diet and how we can change what we eat to promote a better lifestyle.  It talks about how many of our diseases our linked to how we live our life and how we can change the course of our "health destiny" by what we eat.  They promote a mainly whole food, plant based diet.  I have been a believer of this way of eating for a while and it was only reinforced after watching this movie.  It is startling how damaging meat and animal products truly are to your body.  I know to many they think you have to have meat and dairy to live- that is what we have been told our whole lives!  I use to believe that too.  I slowly realized the negative effects of meat and now I can see how damaging animal products in general are as well.


I wish I could say that I became a vegan overnight, but I didn't.  However, I'm going to cut out meat from my diet and try to stick to around a 5-15% dairy intake.  I know some people may think this is radical but so is eating terribly (but no one will talk about you behind your back for that).  I just want to be healthier.  I don't see how eating more vegetable, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds will hurt me.  It won't! And I know "health-wise" I will do just fine without hamburgers and hot dogs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment